24. jan. 2011

S´s essay for her English class: My Splendid Life

Here is an essay written by S (and spell-checked by A&C) which sums up her life quite nicely. 

My Splendid Life

1 Me

 I am S. I am 12 years old and I was born in Oslo, the capital of the small but powerful country Norway. I came along in the middle of November 1998.
I was supposed to be born on the 8th of March. For around three months I struggled for life in the hospital and I survived. The doctors say it was a miracle. 
I am interested in politics, social economy, breaking news, technology and my favorite section in the paper is Management. I like to go swimming, to play chase, eat great food and to go skiing. I have a sister she is 15 now she is a big fan of Johnny Depp and Allen Ricman. My father is an entrepreneur he runs a company. He also plays jazz. My mother is obsessed with yoga. My dog Dixi is totaly obsessed with food she runs a way to get it. Earlier she was a guide dog.

 2 Visually impaired
I am visually- impaired that means (in my case) I am blind on my one eye the left, and I have slight vision on my right eye .
When  I was at the hospital in Oslo the doctors found out that I had the ROP syndrome. If they had been quicker to react maybe the disaster hadn't happened. I became visually-impaired for the rest of my life.

For me to be visually-impaired does not mean especially much, it is a part of my everyday. I have a private teacher at school and my books on audio. That´s it. I don't feel different because I walk around with a white cane, I feel strong and I think that being visually impaired is a strength not a weakness.

3 The disaster
It´s the summer 2009. I am at the Summer Camp for blind and visually-inpaird for the first time. I have never before been so far away from my parents alone. One day I try to call my mother, my father answers and I become angry.

-   Where is mom?! I yell in to the phone. My father is completely calm.
-    She took a nap at the hospital. Her head is hurting, he replays still calm.
-    What! I answer, still all desperately angry and confused.

A few days later I come home or not home but to my grandparent´s farm and I am told that my mother had a stroke in the US. My parents are gone the entire summer. I am sad. I cry. I am very angry, I both cry and yell at my mother. She is there and I am here, I write in my diary.

Now one and a half years later she is getting better and better for each day, but still, she is not the mom I used to know, but I get to know the old mother more and more for every day.

4 I have dreams
Now I live a splendid life. I have a dream: I want to go to Phillips Exeter Academy and when I am finished there, I want to go to Harvard University and maybe win the Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford University in Oxford, UK.
In the end, if everything goes the right way, I want to become an entrepreneur or a politician or maybe an investor, and move to a sailboat and invest or run a business.

1 kommentar:

  1. Kjære S. Det var flott å lese det du skriver! Du kommer helt sikkert til å nå dine mål i livet, selv om det vil kreve mye av deg. Men stå på og hils fra meg, som er H på K

    SvarSlett

Denne bloggen er anonym. Vennligst ikke bruk As eller andres for eller etternavn av hensyn til personvern.

Bloggarkiv

Etiketter (ikke alle innlegg er tagget)

Følgere